Wednesday, October 24, 2012

What a difference......

It's amazing what a difference a week can make.  Last week, when I first started putting other foods in my mouth I was quite literally scared.  It was eye opening to admit that and to really understand that.  Yes "Anonymous Commenter" I am and adult and I am SCARED of food.

Knowing that I was going to eat food, I really wanted to establish some guidelines for what I was eating.  Some rules for myself.  Here are the things I decided:

1.  Drink water.  On that note, since I started the cleanse I drink anywhere from 100-150 ounces of water a day.  If I don't, I notice.

2.  Juice or Smoothie for breakfast.  I switch this up.  In fact one day last week I actually went out to breakfast so I juiced for lunch instead.

3.  Lunch time try to have as much raw food as possible.

4.  Dinner meals focus on plant strong.

5.  Calorie count.  I know you can go overboard even on healthier foods so I want to watch and keep track of what I am eating.  This also means I am keeping a food journal which NEVER hurts.

So, once I had those rules I continued on my education path.  I started watching more documentaries and taking bits and pieces away from each.  I started looking at plant strong diets and printing out recipes to make at home.  Now, does that mean I'm not eating meat anymore?  No, I still will.  It's just in moderation and not the main focus of my diet.  However, I have not had any dairy.  I think I have always been sensitive to dairy so I'm going to do my best to stay away.  The only hard part will be cheese, I love cheese.  I also have been paying close attention to sugar.  What I am realizing is...it's in EVERYTHING!  Even things you think wouldn't have sugar or need sugar still have it.  I am slowly transitioning our household to a "low sugar" household and avoiding it wherever I can.

This education has helped ten fold.  In fact, I don't think I've ever felt this educated on an diet I've tried.  I'm really also trying not to think of this as a diet.  I really just keep thinking about it as a new way of living.  A way where I feel great.  Here are some interesting things that I have realized.  First, I have not taken ANY sort of pain medicine since I started this.  I used to take Aleve almost daily.  It was either for a headache or a pain somewhere (back, knee, etc).  I haven't take it, nor have I needed it.

Here's the other thing.  I have always felt that the Weight Watchers program was one of the best.  I still do believe it can be extremely helpful, but even they are missing some of the education pieces.  They don't really teach you how to eat.  They teach you how to eat what you want in moderation and I have learned that method does not work for everyone.  Why?  Because what I want is not good for me.  To have what I want means that I actually get to eat very little food throughout the day...and in the end while I might lose weight I will always feel hungry and still feel like shit.  You also are never really being taught to listen to your body.  To know when you are feeling hungry and then eat.  You are given a points guide and that's what you are supposed to stick to.

Let me give you an example.  At my size I would likely have 30'ish points a day.  The other this is exactly what I ate all day:

Morning: Juice of two apples, 4 celery, large bunch of Kale, ginger and cucumber.

Lunch: Two slices of Ezekiel bread with a half an avocado spread on, a sliced tomato and arugula.

Snack: Large bag of baby carrots

Dinner: Quinoa and butternut squash burrito with roasted vegetables.

That was just shy of 1500 calories.  It was filling, it was nourishing, it was plant strong and it was healthy.  I was not starving at any point.  I was eating when I was hungry and getting the calories in.  Now, if I had that exact meal plan on Weight Watchers I would have only eaten 12 points.  So by their standards I would have to fit in another 20+ points throughout my day.  The thing is, they aren't counting on people eating like that.  They are counting on people eating processed and the standard American diet where each food carries a high point value...but does it ever really fill you up?

Now, don't get me wrong.  I'm only one week in of eating this way.  I'm not expert and I'm definitely not a success story.  I'm a work in progress who is just figuring this out as I go.  Each person needs to do their own thing.  Each person needs to figure out what works for them.  What I know is I am paying no one for this.  There is no one making money off of me.  Which kind of makes me wonder, do those companies that make money off of us losing weight really have our best interest at heart?  If they did, wouldn't we all lose the weight and keep it off and then what...they would end up broke.  We'll all be success stories.  I just find it all interesting to think about.

So, I'm just going to keep plugging away and see where this all takes me.  I lost another 2.2lbs this week...right on track so I must be doing something right?

2 comments:

Claire Bone said...

Girl, this is so awesome! Good for you! I know exactly how you feel. I am terrified of food also. It is so hard for me to control.

LBDucky said...

I have been doing a lot of research on this type of eating also!!! It is crazy the things that are in "food". I wish you well and hope it works for me too!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails