Monday, July 02, 2012

Next up I'll be churning butter....

This weekend I went full on pioneer style.  I made my own laundry soap.  I've been seeing this idea on Pinterest for a while and I decided to give it a go.  We can't use anything fancy with scents these days because Leyton is allergic and damn if those liquid jugs aren't expensive.


I followed this recipe:



4  Cups - hot tap water
1  Fels-Naptha soap bar
1 Cup - Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda*
½ Cup Borax
- Grate bar of soap and add to saucepan with water. Stir continually over medium-low heat until soap dissolves and is melted.
-Fill a 5 gallon bucket half full of hot tap water. Add melted soap, washing soda and Borax. Stir well until all powder is dissolved. Fill bucket to top with more hot water. Stir, cover and let sit overnight to thicken.
-Stir and fill a used, clean, laundry soap dispenser half full with soap and then fill rest of way with water. Shake before each use. (will gel)


I've done two loads of laundry with it and damn if they don't seem and smell clean to me.  I mean seriously, this makes TEN GALLONS and it maybe cost me all of $5 to make and I still have a huge box of washing soda and borax left.  I might never buy laundry detergent again.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails