Tuesday, December 06, 2011

Don't worry....be happy.....just not too happy.

Yesterday on a visit to Target I left disturbed.  I know that shouldn't even happen because Target is not supposed to be a place of deep thought.  It's my one stop shop and I never wanted to add anything mental to the mix!  The only thing I want to be disturbed about when I leave Target is how I managed to spend $100 every time I step in there.

Anyway, we have to tell this story backwards.  So, we will start at the end.

I was checking out at the only register open that early in the morning.  At the front of the store was a "personal greeter" saying hello to people as they came in.

"That guy is just too happy," said the checker.  "I'm friendly to most people and can start a conversation with a stranger but it creeps me out a bit and makes me worried when someone is that friendly."

I myself, said nothing.  I didn't know what to say.  There were a couple things I wanted to do.  I wanted to put a plastic Target bag over her head and then punch her right on Target to name just one of them.  Instead, I just paid and left....disturbed.

You see, now we have to go back to the beginning.  The part where I was standing at the dollar bins listening to a man in his late 50's talk about losing the job he had for over 20 years due to cut backs.  The part where he looked for another job, anything really, just to make ends meet and not lose everything he had.  The part where everyone kept closing the door in his face because they weren't hiring, although he really felt they weren't hiring people his age.  The fact that he got to a place where he was so scared that his family wouldn't make it financially...........

and then...........

he got hired on as the Target greeter and has never been more happy to have a job in his life.

It made me so sad.  Sad to know that we are at a place where most people are skeptical over the person that seems "Too happy."  We think there is something wrong with them.  Something to be suspicious of.  They are weird.  They are odd.  They make us nervous or uncomfortable.

In a way, they are odd.  Odd because most of us can't even remember a day when we were that happy so it looks completely foreign to us.

I've thought a lot about what I want 2012 to look like.  What I hope to accomplish.  I've even thought about making a bucket list.  Now, I know.

I want to be as happy as the Target greeter.

1 comment:

Johnna said...

My dad was a greeter at a grocery store in Texas and absolutely *loved* it. He loved talking to people and helping them find things. He took the job because he was too old to work anywhere else and to 'ornery' to stay at home.

When his knees couldn't take 6-hour days anymore, he became a crossing guard for the local elementary school. And, at age 76, has no plans for quitting anytime soon.

He would definitely fit into that 'too happy' category... and I love that about him. The world would be a much nicer place if there were too many too happy people!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails