Thursday, December 15, 2011

Craigslist Etiquette Part Deux

If you read my last post, you probably figured I had all the rules covered.  I figured at that point I had experienced all of the ridiculousness that Craigslist could provide.  I had experienced the flakes, the low balls, the please delivers.  It couldn't get worse.

Trust me, Part Deux means it can.  The stupidity is about to hit an all time low.

Here's the deal.  I have a food processor.  A REALLY NICE food processor.  I got it with the intention of making Leyton's food.  It was a birthday/Christmas gift last year and seemed like such a good idea at the time.  Up to that point I was making all of Leyton's food in a small blender sized food processor.  What I didn't realize is in just a month after getting said item....Leyton would start solids and my need to puree would come to a screeching halt.  I kick myself everyday that we got this food processor.  So, the obvious idea was sell it on Craigslist.  I knew I'd only get half of what we paid for it at most, but I could use that money to buy something I would use and still have money left over.

Unfortunately I kept getting low balled.  Finally I realized that maybe I was just going to have to drop the price a bit lower.  I got emailed an offer and accepted.  I should have known when it was pointed out that it was a "cash" offer we were in for trouble.  I'm pretty certain the last time I checked bartering for goats ended sometime in the last decade.

I had said buyer meet me at my house.  I have a dog that barks like Cujo so this has always seemed like a safe option and I always meet buyer out front.  Buyer came, cash was exchanged, item left the premises.  I have to say I had a big sigh of relief that it was finally over.

Two hours later my phone rang.  It was buyer.  I ignored the call and figured he could leave a message.  Moments later, there was a knock at my door.  I figured it was the mail man and kept working.  When I looked up towards the front window, instead of seeing the mailman walking across the lawn...I see buyer at the front window.

I went outside to figure out what the problem was.  Now, this processor is made by Kitchen Aid and is called the Advocate Professional.  Mr. Buyer took this to mean this was a commercial grade processor and when he noticed on the bottom of the processor that it said "Household Appliance" he accused me of falsely listing my item as a professional item...when really it is not worth as much.  All it would have taken would have been for him to GOOGLE the name of the processor...which is printed RIGHT THERE ON THE FRONT and he would have seen that what I listed is exactly what I sold. 

Apparently though, what I didn't realize all this time is that Craigslist has a return policy.  If you buy something that you have buyers remorse about, even if the item is EXACTLY what the seller said it was, you can go right back to that person's house and get your money back!  No receipt needed.  Just peek your face in their window and voila!

Lesson learned.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails