Sunday, September 11, 2011

Remembering

I knew today I would talk about 9/11.  I also knew that since 2006 when I started this blog I have never talked about 9/11.  I'm not entirely sure why, but I chose to keep my memory to myself.  Today marking the 10th anniversary I feel it is time to share.

I lived in Boston for a year and made frequent visits to New York during my time there, and some before that move happened.  I saw the towers when they stood and I saw the destruction of when they were there no longer.  I can remember the time I visited the towers with the intent of taking a ride to the top, only the line was so long there was no way we could fit it in.  So, we sat outside and tried our best to use our camera to show just how big they were.  Even with me lying on the ground and shooting up at my friends it did them absolutely no justice.

When later I visited the aftermath I was again blown away by the void.  No television shot or photo can ever show someone who has never been there just how empty that space is.

On 9/11 I was getting ready to go to work and was in the shower around 6am my time.   I had the radio on and could hear talk of planes crashing, but I honestly think I was so half asleep I didn't know what they were talking about.  When I got out of the shower I went and turned on the tv, at that point the panic has really set in as the 2nd plane had already struck the towers.  I stood there in shock and horror wondering what the hell was happening.  My husband was still in bed and I remember going into the dark room to turn on the television as I just said to him, "Something terrible is happening in New York."

Before I left for work I watched the buildings fall. 

My job in Customer Service at the time had a heavy client base on the east coast.  On a day that would normally be hustle and bustle...there was nothing.  It was quiet, it was sad and it was just heavy.  It is a day and feeling I will never forget.

In the last 10 years I have spent time watching some of the memorial ceremonies.  A couple weeks ago I watched a show about building the memorial.  Today, seeing those families at the memorial, touching the names of those they lost, etching the names on paper with pencils and seeing the water flow into those big square fountains truly takes my breath away.  I think for the first time, those memorial fountains do a perfect job of capturing the empty void of a space that once held two amazing buildings and the many lives lost.  I will always remember.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails