Monday, August 29, 2011

Why I Fight

A week ago I got a new tattoo. While I featured it on Facebook, I wanted to wait until it healed to share it on the blog and talk a little about why I fight.

As you know, August is SMA Awareness Month. It struck me that with the different events I've done and help I've given...I wanted to make it clear that I'm in this for the long haul. While I love Kate, Mark and Getty dearly...I wanted people to know that it was not just about them. I've grown close and grown to love other children and

families affected by SMA. Through these relationships it has become very clear to me that I will always fight SMA. I will fight it until we no longer have to.
This tattoo will remind me to do just that and my hope it will also help spread awareness, since questions about my tattoos are a pretty common thing.

I've been asked in the last few weeks by a couple parents if my son Leyton has SMA. I can only imagine that some are asking because it would explain why I'm in this battle. I mean, let's face it. I'm a full time working mom with a 15 month old son to chase around so I don't have a ton of time on my hands. Spending time on these events does take away from time with my family. So there in lies the question. Why am I willing to sacrifice that time?

I do it because my worries are small. I put Leyton to bed at night worrying whether or not he is going to wake up in the middle of the night and want me to sleep with him. I worry whether or not I'm letting him drink from a bottle for too long. I worry whether it will be hard for him to get rid of his pacifier. I worry that I feed him too much or give him too much juice.

What I don't have to worry about is how much time I may or may not have with him. I don't have to worry whether or not doctors are going to know how to take care of my child. I don't have to worry about where I take him because it might compromise his health. Those are worries that no parent should ever have.

That is why I fight.

It make take up my personal family time, but it is time that I know later in life my son will be proud of. He will know his mom was doing something good for others, which is something we all should do a little more of.

1 comment:

jrandall said...

You have truely been an angel to Kate, Mark, and Miss Getty. All of us should be so fortunate to have a friend like you. Your tatoo is the first I've seen for SMA. Let there be no doubt, where your loyalties lie. Bless you....

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails