Monday, July 18, 2011

Back to Me

Since having Leyton I will admit that I have given up on myself a bit. The most common phrase I use is that I just don't have the time. When I think about it though, it's not necessarily just that. If I really wanted to do more for myself then I would. What is comes down to is that if I have two free hours, most of the time I want to spend that with Leyton. I don't want to spend it on my hair, my make up, my clothes, etc, etc.

Here is where the problem lies. I feel like shit. Now, don't take that the wrong way and start mailing me self help books or anything like that. I guess I should more appropriately say I don't feel pretty. I feel frumpy. I feel washed up. I feel 100% MOM and 0% MILF. I also can't believe I just wrote MILF on my blog and I hope my grandmother has no idea what that even stands for!

So, I decided that it's time to get back to me some. It's all going to be baby steps and those are what I am going to share with you on Mondays. Sometimes it might be about clothes, sometimes make up, sometimes my weight, sometimes health, etc, etc. The thing is, it will be about me. About making myself feel good again. Making myself want to sing out "I feel pretty."

The first place I started was with my hair.
Since roughly 2006 I have more or less been growing my hair out and/or keeping it long. I think I started to feel like long hair meant girly, long hair meant pretty. When in fact, I think I hated it the whole time. I loved it long because I could put it up and hated it long because all I ever did was put it up. I looked at long sexy hair and thought I would eventually have that if I just waited a little longer. Thing was, it just kept getting longer and I kept feeling less and less sexy.

I hit Facebook with this picture and asked people what I should do.

Boy was the feedback diverse! I had just as many keep it longs as I did cut it short. The comments came out in full force and yet I was no closer to a decision than when I started. So, I started to really listen to me. This is what she told me (or I told myself).....cut it. While I want sexy hair, I am never going to spend the time it takes to make it look like sexy hair. My hair takes almost 45 minutes to blow dry and that is not time I am willing to spend on hair. It was time to get hair that could be styled in less time and still look sassy!

Thankfully, I listened to myself and the outcome is this.

I love my hair! I wash it and style it every morning and damn it, I think it looks cuter than it has in a long long time! Here's to taking the first step to get back to me.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

The hair cut looks great! A good hair cut/style can make a huge difference in how you feel about yourself. I recently had a really bad haircut and wanted to hide for weeks... now it's growing out and I feel better. It takes a while after having your child to get back to thinking about you. Most Mom's (the good one's anyway) put everyone else first.. the kids, the hubby, the house, etc.. make some time for yourself, and don't feel guilty about it! You need your time to make yourself feel good too.

momma j lee ♥ said...

I agree... your hair looks fantastic and so do you! It really suits you. And I'm totally with you on the feeling like a 100% MOM and 0% MILF! LOL

I keep saying I'm going to make more time for myself but then when I have time, I find the laundry calling or the dishes just piling and back to being mom I go... :(

Keep it up!

Carol Browne said...

I love the new do. I think I just may do something similar. My schoolmarm hairdo is just not cutting it these days. You have inspired me! Thanks!

Also, Baby Leyton is an ADORABLE bunny.

Nora-transient*treasures said...

Looking GOOD.........GREAT.............

Nora-transient*treasures said...

OOPS, meant to add: I had an OPPOSITE thing occur last year. LOL! Decided I was OVER long hair, and got a great shoulder length cut. Maintained it for a few months. Then, just really felt it wasn't "ME". Let my hair grow out......past my shoulders...........to my middle back......and VOILA...I feel "normal" again. keeping it trimmed, with bangs. "Above all else, to thine own self be true."

Lakota [Faith Hope and Charity Shopping] said...

The shorter haircut looks great - good call! And yeah, it is hard to make time for makeup and haircuts, and money for clothes. Even if you thrift, it's a lot of time to find the good things, which us mums rarely have. It does get a bit better though. This September my little one will be at nursery, so at least I'll be able to get a haircut more than twice a year!

Dranrab said...

Rock on! Loving the cut!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails