Monday, May 02, 2011

Proud

Oh no, here comes that ridiculous girl from Pillsplace with a rather heavy post that includes no photos! You know, that kind where she gets all serious on you for a moment. I don't do this often, but this blog is a place for me to clear out my thoughts, give a taste of what is on my mind and things I'm working on. Today is just one of those days.

Last night I was watching The Amazing Race and was just about to find out if Team Pinky was going to have a long enough time violation to be given the boot when a broadcast suddenly cut in, looking almost fake quite honestly, to tell me that Osama Bin Laden had been killed. I may make a joke on Facebook that I was a little sad I missed the end of The Amazing Race, but in honesty I do know that is an important message that people need to hear. For many, it is going to give them closure. He was an evil person, he did an evil thing and he got away with it for far too long.

On the other hand, for some reason I am feeling at odds. In fact, dare I say that it is making me feel a little less Proud American? To be honest, I am feeling sad. Now before you all cry witch and burn me at the stake...let me clear things up and say that I am not sad he is dead.

What I am sad by is how many people had to lose their lives after 9/11 in order to kill ONE MAN. One man who I feel will just be replaced by another horrible person. I would love to be optimistic, but I don't feel this brings an end to anything. We will still have troops overseas, we will still have fighting, we will still have Americans dying. I am thankful to those that fight for us everyday, but I am saddened by the amount of people that have had to die to bring justice to this one man.

I'm also slightly disturbed. Last night the news was of course ALL OVER this. The clip that they kept coming to were the people chanting and swarming the streets in front of the White House to celebrate. Looking at this crowd of hundreds I feel like I saw not a single person over the age of 20-25. It was a bunch of kids. If their hearts were in the right place then good for them for being so proud of the USA that they felt the need to celebrate. Sadly what I saw was a group of people that looked like they just ran out of the local kegger so they could chant and hopefully get their face on the news. My impression was they weren't in it for the meaning, they were in it for the party.

This is a case where I hope I am cynical and wrong, because otherwise I just end up feeling sick to my stomach.

4 comments:

Eileen @ Bringing Up Bronwyn said...

My sister, who is close to that age range, at 27 was one of the ones celebrating at the White House. She's a Capitol Hill staffer for a CA congressmen. I can tell you there was at least ONE person there with their heart in the right place. She is very proud of her country every day, and last night, and lives just a few metro stops from the White House.

I haven't chatted with her yet about her experience, but this is what she said on FB:
"It is so cool! While people all over were starting partisan debates and arguments, I was at the White House where no one talked about party lines or what this meant politically - just showing pride and rallying around the flag in honor of those who fight for our freedom :)"

So I hope this gives you a little bit of hope as to where the intentions were!

Stacey B said...

Thank you Eileen, that actually does make me feel better. I kind of felt like an ass writing this post but I do feel like we are in a society where everyone is in it for their 5 minutes of fame, a quote unquote world of "reality television." Sometimes it's just so hard to tell what the intentions are and I could only hope people's hearts were in the right place!

Eileen @ Bringing Up Bronwyn said...

Yay, that was my intention. You aren't an ass for writing this post. So many people really do things for the wrong reasons.

I probably would have been thinking exactly the same a you if I didn't know someone who was there and have her first hand experience. I haven't watched the video yet, but she posted a video of the entire crowd singing the national anthem. One person commented that it gave them chills.

Rebecca said...

Stacey,
I am struggling with this in all kinds of ways. I appreciate your candor, and believe that you share in what many people believe. There are no easy answers. I believe our job is to act with the greatest level of integrity that we, as individuals, can on any given day. If I can put my head down on the pillow at night knowing that I did the best job I could for that day, then I think I can begin to be a part of the quiet revolution that needs to happen in our country. I stand up for what I believe in; I try very hard not to judge people who believe differently than I do. Keep thinking out loud and keep posting - I enjoy the voice you share with us. Leyton is a very lucky little boy to have you as his mom.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails