Thursday, February 17, 2011

Thrift Adventures

This week I ventured to a new thrift store, the Goodwill Outlets on Franklin Blvd. Man is this place CRAZY! I spent most of my time in the books which brings us to this weeks thrifty find. Sometimes when thrifting I find myself with something ridiculous that I am only getting for the humor factor. This 50 cent book was exactly that....

The New Joys of Jell-O from 1973, seems innocent enough. Let's look inside shall we?The first thing you might notice is the incredible graphics put there to make the Jell-O delights pop on the page. Oh, the graphics aren't enough to tempt you? Well, let's try a little staging then.
See there, we have Pac-Man...7 years before he made it big. He will later eat billions of dots, but right now you can eat him! Still not sold? Wow, guess we better break out the big guns and head right to the centerfold.There you have it my friends. I'm sure I have you hook line and sinker with that bevy of deliciousness. If the nutty fruitcake mold doesn't strike your fancy, then maybe the modern cubism dessert? Wow, always the skeptic huh? Afraid that Jell-O just won't work for your fancy events. Ha! Well there you are wrong!
Nothing says "Till death do us part" like a salmon Jell-O salad mold! OK, I know at this point we have covered everything right? Wait a minute, what is this section..Oh my goodness it's the things we never would have thought of section. I guess we're going to have to have a look-see.
Gosh darn it, you got me. Honestly I had never thought of putting shrimp and pimentos on a pumpernickel slice and pouring lemon dill Jell-O on top! You definitely got me there. Don't worry too because since we are all watching our weight right now there is a "Jell-O for the Slim Life" section which includes the 5% of recipes that don't include mayonnaise!

See what I told you? Best 50 cents I have ever spent in my life. What makes it even better is we're going to turn this Joy of Jell-O party into a giveaway! That's right, you could be the proud owner of this book, 4 boxes of Jell-O and one Tupperware Jell-O mold so you can get your next party started right.

To enter we will turn to my favorite picture of the book.Great huh? What it's missing is the caption! What are these cool cats from the 1970's saying as they enter your house? Submit your answers by noon on Wednesday the 23rd and the winner will be selected and announced next week on Thrifty Thursday! All Facebook and blog comments will be included. May the best caption win!

Don't forget to link up your thrifty finds this week and check Katie Jean to see where her Thrifty Adventures took her!

5 comments:

gettyowl said...

"Our car broke down about a mile from here. Could we use your phone if we give you our mold?"

Derland said...

Seu blog e excelente, seus textos também são ótimos, vou tentar me inspirar no seu blog para melhorar o meu, se quiser depois e só da uma olhada o link ta logo a baixo: http://derlandreflexivo.blogspot.com/

katie jean said...

This is too funny! Now I am going to be thinking all day about a caption :)

Lakota [Faith Hope and Charity Shopping] said...

"Sorry we're late darling, there was a problem at the airport. I didn't even have time to change out of my Air Jell-O uniform. We can have the hat as dessert!"

Love those kind of vintage books, I just got a 60s one on 'home management'.

Kerri T. said...

the wife is thinking..."Good thing you just opened the door, the MR. here was comaplaining that i didn't make the strwberry jello mold he prefers. Yes, like i have all day to do your laundry , keep the house up AND drive to hell and back just to buy strawberries out of season to make your favorite! IT's really a good thing you opened the door or this jello mold was going straight up his..."

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails