Saturday, January 22, 2011

Cleaning House

I have spent the past few evenings cleaning around the house. It started with a drawer, and then a closet and then a cabinet and now I can't seem to stop. Maybe it's the gorgeous weather, maybe I'm just tired of clutter. Either way I'm fired up to get rid of stuff.

One of the big projects was organizing our file cabinet. The funnest file in this cabinet is typically the "personal" file. It's where various items and papers go when they don't have anywhere else to go. Inside this file I found this bracelet.At first I didn't think anything of it. I mean, I've been in the hospital a zillion times and so it could be one of many. Then I noticed it is my maiden name. Then I noticed the date. At that point I knew immediately what this was from.

On July 19, 1986 I dove into a pool and hit my head on the bottom, ending up with a broken neck. I was 10 1/2 years old and it officially ruined the rest of my summer. I've always been a bit accident prone and part of the reason I swam was because it seemed so safe. Of course this was also back when you dove off a platform that was a little over 2 feet off the ground into a pool that was only 3.5 feet deep to begin with. The biggest memories that I have of this event are that I couldn't feel my legs for a while and yet walked myself to the edge of the pool, I remember hold my head by my chin as if to think I would crumble like a rag doll if I let go, I remember getting frustrated by how many times I was asked what my name/date/age/etc was. Finally, I remember a little girl leaning over me while I lay on a back board with a big brace on and saying, "Is she dead?"

4 comments:

Carol Browne said...

WHAT??? ZOMG! You broke your neck? That's crazy. So, will you be collaging that bracelet into an art piece? I can see it decorated with stickers, some distress paint and some glitter! Just think about it, would you? :-)

Angel said...

I can't even imagine how much your parents freaked out. You actually broke your neck and are now living to tell about it!?! Oh my gosh! You must be here for a purpose.

katie jean said...

You are crazy Stacey! Pour little girl hitting her head. And still you love to swim :)
I just love reading your blog!

Duffy said...

I was on that swim team with you!!!!! (But I don't remember being there for the actual neck breaking) I do however remember your neck brace. SO glad you live to tell! Also, I think you qualify as my oldest friend!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails