Tuesday, April 20, 2010

The head.


Yesterday I had an ultrasound done to try to determine the babies size. Now I know that these are all just estimates and it could go up or down. Since I see a primary care resident instead of an OB I have to go to an imaging center to have my ultrasounds done. The nice part is they have great equipment. The bad part is that I'm not given the results right there so I'm left to my own brain trying to figure it out.

I asked the tech what they do to try to determine size and apparently they measure parts of the head and then the length of the femur and create an average from there. Once she told me that I was glued to the screen to see what things were measuring. While I don't know how the average is calculated I do know that when they plug a measurement in it tells roughly how far along you are in the pregnancy. For example, they measured the length of the spine and it put me at 37 weeks and 5 days...just a couple days past what I am. Then they measured the femur and that put me at 36 weeks and 2 days...just a little bit behind. Then came the head.

They took three measurements of the head and while you don't want to find out that your baby is going to come out looking like the shrunken head guy in Beetlejuice, you also don't want Brendan Fraser. Come on people, that guy has a HUGE cro magnon head! He didn't get picked to play a neanderthal frozen in ice for nothing! All three head measurements said 40 weeks and 3 days. Now is when I'm hoping that these "birthing hips" I have are going to really come in handy. The shot above is the profile...if you can figure that out, more power to you.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails