Saturday, May 16, 2009

Dungeons and Dragons


Lately I have been thinking that I want to start using the library. There is one very close to my work and when I need something to read it would be nice to check out a book instead of buying one. I'm not a book collector and don't keep books so it always feels silly buying them and yet there are always books I want to read. Going to the library is something I have not done in years and there is a very good reason for that. I am apparently on the Most Wanted list for overdue library books. The story gets better.

Approximately 13 years ago I went to the lake with a friend and we decided to lock our purses in the trunk of the car where they would be safe. Much to our surprise when we returned, the side window was smashed and our purses where MIA. At the time I was just a wee 20 year old so I pretty much had an atm card and one credit card which I quickly cancelled. Shortly after this I moved away to Boston for a year.

Almost three years later, after I moved back to Sacramento, I decided to go to the library one day. I was in a "read the classics phase" and I knew they would have the book. I didn't have a library card anymore, so I went to the desk to sign up. That was when I was given the unfortunate news. I had an un-returned book and would need to pay the $75 fee before I checked out anything else. I was baffled. I couldn't even remember the last time I had checked anything out and I certainly didn't remember not giving anything back. So of course, I asked what the book was. "Dragons and Lore." I stood there baffled. I can safely say that in no time of my life have I been interested in dragons. Turns out, the purse bandits were interested in them and used my library card to check out this book and never bring it back. Who would have thunk?!

I haven't been back to the library since then, and I never cleared the matter up. It involved a detailed letter and at that time of my life I wasn't interested in writing it. So, I think next week I'll head back to the library and see if I can get myself off the hit list.

2 comments:

Little Brown Box said...

That's hilarious! It's okay, you can admit that you secretly kept the book...we'll understand :-)

I have become a library freak! You can order books online now and have them delivered to your library so I'm there like once a week picking up my random stack of books of my latest obsession. Um, right now it's Disney Land.

Debbie said...

WOW! That is indeed hilarious! Well if the library thing doesn't work out for you you should go the used bookstore route. You pay half or less of the retail price and when you're done you return them for store credit and get a new book. Plus it's a lot of fun to browse those shops and get easily get lost and spend several hours there.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails