Saturday, June 21, 2008

Hydrangea help!

My most favorite flower in the whole world is the hydrangea. When Bill and I first moved into our place I planted one out front immediately. It ended up being this gorgeous full plant that was the most vibrant purple color I had ever seen in a hydrangea. Through the years the plant has gotten bigger and bigger, but last year I really noticed that it was starting to look sparse. This year, it's even worse! There were only a couple flowers on it and most of them were very small. It's also lost it's gorgeous color and is just a mild purple now. Although it has grown in height, it's not a dense looking plant, but rather kind of branchy (is that even a word?) Does anyone know how to fix this? I cut it each year, but maybe I'm cutting it incorrectly? I followed a guide online and always make sure to just cut to the new buds, but it seems that this isn't working. What will happen if I cut it all the way? Will it kill it or make it come back bigger and better? Can someone out there answer my questions? Hello? Bueller?

3 comments:

Peptogirl said...

Sorry, I have a back thumb :( Darryl doesn't even let me get near the plants...

Pink Petunia Designs said...

Hmmm. They are usually super hearty plants. I have two and have almost completely lost them to the earwigs (pincher bugs) this year. If the leaves aren't holey it might be the pruning. Contact one of the local nursery's and ask them. They are usually super helpful!

Carol Browne said...

We have 2 big ones in our yard and I found the trick to be to cut the wood right down around December. Cut the stalks down to about 3 inches long. I know...it seems harsh, but they come back bigger and you get great big clusters of flowers. I didn't do it last year, because I wanted many smaller clusters, but will probably do it this year. Good luck with that!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails