Thursday, March 20, 2008

Not that I'm counting!

Today marks 5 months since I have walked on my own. In fact, right around this time of day was when the injury occurred in the first place. 5 months!!! I'd like to say that time has flown by, but for once in my life time has been creeping along hour by hour. I wonder when I started walking as a kid? I mean really, this is the longest I haven't walked since I was a baby. It's definitely opened my eyes to some things. You really see how much you take advantage of being able to walk. How much you take advantage of standing. How much you take advantage of being able to get from here to there quickly.

Here's a simple example. I'm sure everyone at some point wakes up in the middle of the night and has to go pee. If you are anything like I was you hate it. In fact, you'll spend some time lying there thinking that you can just go to sleep and forget it. Then you know you'll have one of those dreams and end up peeing in the bed so you get up. If you are anything like I was you will walk to the restroom, use the bathroom and get back into bed while managing to stay slightly in REM sleep. When you wake up in the morning you will barely remember that you got out of bed in the first place. No problem. Now, imagine this for me. I have to think about moving the leg because at this point it is stuck in whatever position it fell asleep in. Then I have to find the crutches. Now I have to attempt to stand and balance on crutches with my leg stuck in about a 30 degree angle. Now I have to try and navigate from the bedroom into the bathroom without running into something, slipping on something or making too much noise in the complete darkness. Now I have to balance myself on the window sill and the sink so I can lower myself onto the toilet. Now....ok you got the picture! What I would give to just hop out of bed and quickly go use the bathroom. You take that for granted, I took that for granted. When I can walk I'm going to quit bitching about that kind of stuff and just be happy that I can walk around. Hopefully you can learn from this too and when you're feeling frustrated by this little stuff think of what it would be like if you were stuck on one leg.

Since we're on the topic I'll go ahead and give you an update. I'm still going to physical therapy. In fact, I'm going EVERYDAY! I only get to meet with the therapist twice a week, but the other three days I just go and do the exercises on my own. Luckily, the therapists there are all rooting for me so they tend to help me even on the days that I'm supposed to be on my own. There is a therapist there named Bob that stayed today after he was off just to help me. I managed to get down to one crutch and today Bob would only let me use a cane while I was there. It was hard, but I pushed through it. I'm hoping that by next week I will be using just a cane which is so much closer to using nothing! I've started driving some, but try to limit this to therapy and back. I don't want to get on the freeway but I've had no trouble on the streets.

I definitely feel like I'm on the home stretch and hope that the next update will be to tell you that I've officially returned to the world of bi-peds. While I'm on the topic I feel like there are some people that I need to thank. First just a general thanks to all for your support and well wishes over the last 5 months. I owe a big thanks to my Mom who flew all the way out here from Florida in my time of desperate need. I could not have made it through those few weeks without your help. Next I'd like to thank Kim for all the many many rides to and from physical therapy/lab work and Dr's appointments. Thanks for the lunches, the small outings to Target and for coming to the house and keeping me company while you folded Bill's underwear! Thank you to Java City and my co-workers. I know this sounds weird to be thanking my job, but I left you high and dry and you have supported me through it all. Finally I really really really have to thank Bill. I'm sure you will never read this, but I hope you know what a pillar of strength you have been for me through all of this. You have had to take on sooo much and still manage to love me. I've cried many times, I've been grumpy many times, I've showered infrequently many times and I haven't been able to do much to help out. I hope that I can one day repay you for all that you have done for me. I love you!

Well, there you have it. I feel like I just gave an Oscars speech or something! I like to imagine that I just gave that standing in front of a crowd in a gorgeous dress and then gracefully walked off the stage. Exit stage right.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails